I've been reading Magpie Girl for a while now, and I particularly love her *8Things posts each Thursday, in which she lists--you guessed it--8 things related to a topic that's on her mind. Sometimes they're moving, sometimes they're random and sometimes they're just plain fun. I've been meaning to jump in and do my own *8Things posts here, but either haven't felt particularly passionate about the topics or just haven't made the time to pull together a list of my own.
When I read this week's topic--Fill 'er Up--I knew this was the week. I'm currently going through some major life change (which I'm not quite ready to talk about here) and feeling a little empty. What better time to focus on what fills me up when I feel drained?
*8Things That Fill Me Up
1. Sunshine and time outdoors. I just put together a little bistro set for my back patio and my new favorite thing to do on the weekends is get outside in the early morning sun and enjoy my little flower garden, the birds, the breeze. Even a short mid-day walk (when it's not too hot) can fill me with energy and liveliness on the most draining of days.
2. Yoga. It gives me permission to center myself and focus on what's going on inside my body. I feel stronger, more focused and better able to take on whatever comes my way after a session on the mat.
3. Time with friends. There's something healing about sitting around with a friend (or several of them) and chatting about nothing in particular and everything under the sun. And there's always a lot of laughter, which is healing in itself.
4. A good book. Since I was a kid, I've always retreated to books when times get tough. Escaping into the world of a good novel or memoir gives me a break from my own worries and stress and helps me to see the world through someone else's eyes for a change. Even if that someone is fictional.
5. Exercise. I never thought I'd be one to look forward to exercise, but my body craves it. A good workout, whether at the gym or the park, can turn my frown upside down. And a nice walk with a friend makes it that much more enjoyable.
6. A phone call. Living hundreds of miles away from friends and family isn't easy, and sometimes I just need to hear the voice of a far-away friend or family member. Taking the time to make that call and have a real conversation can make all the difference in my outlook.
7. Cooking. A lot of people shy away from the kitchen, but I've come to love the meditative quality of rinsing, chopping, seasoning, sauteing, stirring, and yes, eating, a meal made from fresh ingredients. Whether tweeking favorite recipes or trying out new ones, I can't wait to get into the kitchen and play with my food.
8. Creating. Whether it's writing a new story, taking photographs, putting together a meal from whatever is on hand or making homemade cards, I love any opportunity to make something come to life.
What's on your Fill 'er Up list? You can join in on this week's *8Things by grabbing a button from Magpie Girl and writing up your own list, or leave a comment here and let me know how you fill yourself up when you're feeling drained.