It's time for the TBR (To Be Read) Challenge again. I wasn't very good at reviewing the books I read for the challenge, and I didn't update on my progress much throughout the year, but that's mostly because I was a bit embarrassed by my lack of progress.
I failed to check many books off my TBR List in 2009. Although I did read almost 2 dozen books, the majority of them didn't come from that TBR pile that's been collecting dust. Instead, I was buying books at one of my favorite second-hand bookstores or getting them through paperbackswap.com.
I did manage to read 3 of the 12 books off my main 2009 challenge list and 3 off my alternates list. In addition to my TBR books, I read through a number of books by new or new-to-me authors, did some research for my own writing by reading several best-selling memoirs and essay collections, and learned something new by reading a few business and self-improvement books (one of my favorites was A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink).
Having joined Paperback Swap, my TBR list is growing exponentially. Thankfully, I've been able to share some of the books that I've read but were gathering dust on the shelves in order to make room for new additions. It's hard for me to part with my books, but because bookshelf real estate is extremely valuable in my house, I've had to make some sacrifices. Besides, I love sharing books with friends, so why not share them with strangers who might enjoy them, as well?
Sadly, my TBR List for 2010 looks much like my TBR list for 2009. I'm starting to think that if I haven't read them by now they just might not be catching my interest enough, but I'm going to give it a try again. There is, after all, only so much time in a year--and there are SO many books to read. Even if I keep up my reading pace of 2009 and only read books from my TBR list, I won't make it through all of these titles. I plan to do my best, though.
2010 TBR List
- I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
- The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
- A Hand to Guide Me by Denzel Washington
- Writing Your Life by Lou Willett Stanek
- Hollywood Worldviews by Brian Godawa
- Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot (Finished 1/17/10)
- Size 14 is Not Fat Either by Meg Cabot
- Big Boned by Meg Cabot
- American Girls About Town (Finished 2/15/10)
- Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner
- The Ha-Ha by David King
- Writing Articles from the Heart by Marjorie Holmes
- Writing Life Stories by Bill Roorbach
- Trudy's Promise by Marcia Preston
- Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (Finished 1/30/10)
- The Well-Fed Writer by Peter Bowerman
- The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler
- The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson
- Ghosts of War by Ryan Smithson (Finished 2/21/10)
- Lisey's Story by Stephen King
- The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister
- Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver
I'll try to keep you posted on my progress and let you know if any of these are worth recommending. If you want to join the challenge, visit the official challenge site and sign up. Here's to a year of reading!
Have you read any of these books? Any suggestions on where I should start?