I took today off, as I mentioned on Wednesday, to wait around for the appliance repairman. Thankfully, he got here a little after 8 and was gone by 9, so I had plenty of time to get other things done. I paid a couple of bills, washed my dishes, did a load of laundry, watched a little TV and then took a trip to one of my favorite places. You know what's coming if you know me at all...wait for it...
Yes, I spent my afternoon surrounded by magazines and books, smelling that sweet scent of paper and ink, gazing lovingly at colorful book jackets and beautiful covers. And I managed to walk out with only one magazine that I got for 20% off, thanks to a coupon.
When I was done browsing, I had a great lunch at Panera while reading my new magazine. I also had the pleasure of people watching, which is where the random thoughts come in.
- Are we really at a point in our evolution as a species where three people can sit down in a booth to eat lunch together and spend more time talking on their cell phones than talking to each other?
- Is it just me, or does the smile and curiosity of a three-year-old the most beautiful thing in the world?
- I hope that I am lucky enough to spend much of my adult life with a man who will still carry my tray, pull out my chair, gaze at me lovingly, and hold my hand when I'm 70 and beyond.
- When I see people together--girlfriends talking and laughing, a couple sharing a Friday lunch together, a group of frat boys talking about the next big party--I always wonder about the story behind them. How did they meet? What brings them together and keeps them that way? What are they thinking about one another behind those smiles and laughter and loving eyes?
- Food is really good if you take time to taste it and chew it and think about it. And I don't need nearly as much of it to feel satisfied when I do this. Also, bread is good and I'm never going to give it up. I don't care what the anti-carbohydrate gurus say. A good baguette--crunchy on the outside, but soft and chewy on the inside--is like medicine for my soul.
Well, I'm off to do some more blog-hopping. There are more than 1300 Blog Party hosts left for me to visit. At the rate I'm going, it will be 2025 before I finally get to meet them all. But I'm going to do my best to stop by and say hello to as many as I can. Hope you had a wonderful Friday! Enjoy your weekend.